Friday, June 19, 2009

My Birthday & My New Costco Card

Okay.. my birthday on Thursday was the best ever!!! The day before my birthday Alysa, Roxanne & Denice showed up at my work at the end of the day and took me out for a wonderful birthday celebration... It was so much fun - I thought it was the nicest thing ever... UNTIL the next day…I worked on my birthday and then Jim and I had a date planned.. I requested dinner and a movie - so he told me OK - be ready at 5:10 sharp - we have a dinner reservation at 5:30... don't dress too casual - bring a bag with tennis shoes and a sweatshirt, 2 spoons and protection! Don't worry - he meant the Smith & Wesson type ;) Oh ya.. he also asked if I thought I'd get sick if I went for a car ride blind folded? Ya... I was freaking out a little bit too -- until we got there!So he picks me up and has a CD playing, that his kids made for us, of our favorite music... Barry Manilow, Journey, IZ, Andre Bocelli... and takes me to Cuistot - my absolute favorite restaurant!!! And I start thinking --- we could have gone to Jack in the Box and I'd have been just as happy as long as it’s with him - alone - on a date - and used all this money to pay my electricity bill :) But as we dined at the chef's table on Rabbit Pate, Lobster Ravioli and Rack of Lamb... all my cares just slipped away... It was a completely delectable meal topped it off with a delicious Floating Island desert courtesy of our waiter!!! Then it was off to the movies for endless laughs and into the car to be blindfolded. Drat… I forgot to pay attention to the turns... and couldn't figure out where we were going! I had in my mind either the Tram or up highway 74 and even though it had entered my mind that yes, I'm a little neurotic and crabby sometimes I still get the feeling from him that he genuinely loves me and I didn't think he was going to take me out to the desert and shoot me and throw my body off a cliff... okay maybe I thought that for a minute - but when it came down to it.. I was just excited to get where we were going :)So finally, we get close and he puts the car into 4wheel drive... now that was SCARY!!! I thought for sure we were going to tip over and fall off a cliff ! But he talks to me about what’s happening and about trusting him the whole time and we finally come to a stop... whew! He gets all his stuff together and lets me out and takes off the blindfold.... I still have no idea where we are except that it’s out in the middle of the desert in the middle of the night and there are all kinds of creepy creatures out there and snakes and coyotes...and at that exact moment I'm saying thank heavens for the Smith & Wesson! The weather was perfect - warm with a light breeze - no sweatshirt needed, billions of stars were shining soooo bright and appeared to be right at my fingertips. It was absolutely beautiful...I could have stayed up there all night. We walked on uneven ground (tennis shoes on) for a short distance and all the while he’s talking all sweet about how we’ve covered rocky ground and how we’ll cover more and all this other deep meaningful inspiration stuff … and we get out to a point above the lookout on highway 74 where the crystal clear view of the city lights was amazing! He laid out a blanket and pulled out the goodies... Ben & Jerry's mint chip ice cream (more like a milkshake by now, despite all his ice packing efforts, no spoons needed after all), chocolate covered strawberries (that he and Natalia made that afternoon) and Fiji water!!! We sat and chit chatted for a while...then he gave me a cute card from his kids and then the one from him with a Costco card in it – I was so excited as my Costco membership had run out and I couldn’t really justify renewing it – then I turned it over and it said “Wendy A Parks” and he pulled out the ring and the rest is history or shall I say - eternity!

7 comments:

Shea said...

Aaaaww! Congratulations! Sounds like a great night! What a sweet guy. You look happy together :)

Unknown said...

Congrats! Thanks for sharing all that detail. We can't wait to hear all the details of the big event.

Blackwell-Park's Blog said...

congrats mom!!! (by Sarah)I just love your story.......Costco rules! (by denise)

The Doria Family said...

Wendy -- we are all so happy for you! How exciting. Who knew a Costco card could be so special!

Alysa@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Yeah! You did write it all down. I loved "hearing" it again via the blog. I'm so happy for you. We need more pictures of the ring, you, you and Jim, etc. etc. Fun. Fun.

Time for a change. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lizzie said...

Congratulations!!!!! I was hoping the whole time while reading the story that there was a ring at the end. Yay!!! I'm so happy for you both.