Thursday, July 10, 2008

You say tomato I say tomato

Okay - so I'm talking to Jim and referring to my "Auntie" Peteranne and he decides its necessary to let me know that "Auntie" isn't even a real word!!! WHAT you're kidding me? So of course I head straight to the dictionary to look it up - sure enough its nowhere to be found - but thank goodness for the Internet - there it was "a pet form of word aunt" - but knowing my family, it really stems form the gambling term "ante" as in "ante up" - which reminds me of the story of my cousin Julie who's parents were called into the nuns office when Julie was in kindergarten because the nuns were concerned about her counting skills. It went something like this " 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-Jack-Queen-King". So, you see, the "ante" theory is not that far fetched after all.

My whole life I've only known Aunti - on my moms side all the Yugoslavs - Auntie Peteranne, Auntie Arlene, Auntie Dee Dee, Auntie A, etc.... and even on my dad's side plain old white folk - Aunti Marge, Auntie Lorraine, etc... Who calls their aunts "Aunt so an so"? Evidently everyone but me and my family. I've just never heard such a thing my whole life - so I'm just sticking with Auntie as I know it. Perhaps its simply a northern California thing?

Good night!!!!

3 comments:

Time for a change. said...

We have both in my family. I have been both Auntie Kelly and Aunt Kelli depending on who is doing the talking And you know I have been Aunt/Auntie since the day I was born.
We use Auntie with my son. I think its much sweeter sounding. Stick with it.

Ask Jim how he says potato. That is my come back when anyone teases me on my American way of saying Tomato. :) Its not TO- MOT-O. ;)

The Doria Family said...

We used Auntie in the south too! Hey glad to see you are a blogger too. Look at our blog sight to see what the Doria's are up to!

Audry said...

That is so neat. Croatian! It is fun to find out that people have the same ancestry. Trent's been wanting to do his dad's side of family history so if we find any connection we'll be sure to let you know.